How do I create a new DNA or RNA sequence?
Create the Sequence
Click File → New DNA or RNA Sequence to open the the "New DNA or RNA File" window.
In the ""New DNA or RNA File" window set the sequence type, topology and name of the new sequence:
- Set the "Sequence Type" to DNA or RNA
- Use the dropdown to set whether the new sequence will be double-stranded or single stranded
- Set whether sequence will be "Linear" or "circular"
- Enter a name for the new sequence
Click within the field and enter a sequence. To insert new sequence you can:
- Manually type a DNA or RNA sequence
- Paste a plain DNA or RNA sequence
- Paste a formatted DNA or RNA sequence in either FASTA, GenBank, EMBL, DDBJ or GCG format
- Paste a DNA or RNA sequence region copied from another open SnapGene file (note you can also Extract a Region in a Sequence to a New File)
Formatted sequence copied from a SnapGene file will, by default, transfer any associated feature, primer or DNA color information. If you don't require this information then uncheck the option to "Transfer features, primers and DNA colors".
Features present in GenBank, EMBL, DDBJ or GCG formatted text will be added to the sequence.
Click OK to create a new unsaved sequence file. Click File → Save to save the sequence to an appropriate location on your computer.