How do I use the new interface in the SnapGene 7.0 beta release?
SnapGene version 7.0 introduces a new file management interface and tabbed views to simplify using and managing your SnapGene files.
Viewing and Managing your data with the New Interface
What is a 'Project'?
- A 'Project' is simply a folder on your computer containing files that you want to work with.
- The 'Project' side panel mirrors what you would see in Windows File Explorer, macOS Finder or a Linux OS File Manager.
- The 'Project' side panel streamlines file access and management, and allows you to find, view and work with your files without switching to and from your OS file manager.
- The 'Project' side panel also gives you the ability to search the SnapGene files and their contents.
- Click 'Get Started' at any time to see your recent Project folders, recently viewed files, and access help.
- Click Open, or alternatively, click the folder icon, to specify a folder that contains files you want to work with.
- 'Recent projects' and 'Recent files' lists will populate with recently viewed or opened folders and files.
- Expand the "Help" sections, to view introductory videos and lessons on how to use SnapGene.
Open a Folder
A 'Project' can be any folder on your computer, including a SnapGene Collection†.
† - See What is the difference between a SnapGene Collection and a Project Folder?
Click Open to choose a 'Project' folder.
Navigate to locate the folder containing the files you wish to work with, click open to set the folder as a 'Project'.
The contents of the 'Project' folder are shown in the side panel.
To view a file in a temporary tab, click once on the file name in the side panel. The file name is shown in italicized text.
To open and view a file in a permanent tab, double click on the file name in the side panel. The file name is shown in non-italicized text.
When viewing a temporary tab, if you interact with the sequence or side bar then it will be converted to a permanent tab.
To view or open a second file, click or double click the file name in the side panel. The file is displayed in a new tab.
To close a tab, click the close box associated with the tab, or alternatively, click on the tab to select it and click File → Close.
Manage Files via the Side Panel
Files management via the side panel means you don't have to switch to Windows Explorer or macOS Finder to manage your 'Project' folder contents.
- Select one or more files and click Export to export the files to any location on your computer.
- Select one or more files and/or folders and click Move to move the files and/or folders to any location on your computer.
- Select one or more files and/or folders and click the Elipsis to access other folder and file management tools.
You can also drag and drop files and folders in the side panel to move them!
Search a 'Project' folder
Click the Search field to open the "Search" dialog.
Use the "Search" dialog to filter and find items in your "Project" folder. See the lesson Searching in a Project Folder to learn how to search the files in a 'Project' folder.