How do I use the new interface in SnapGene 7.0 or later?
SnapGene version 7.0 introduces a new file management interface and tabbed views to simplify using and managing your SnapGene files.
Viewing and Managing your data with the New Interface
What is a 'Project'?
- A 'Project' is simply a folder on your computer containing files that you want to work with.
- The 'Project' side panel mirrors what you would see in Windows File Explorer, macOS Finder or a Linux OS File Manager.
- The 'Project' side panel streamlines file access and management, and allows you to find, view and work with your files without switching to and from your OS file manager.
- The 'Project' side panel also gives you the ability to search the SnapGene files and their contents.
- Click 'Get Started' at any time to see your recent Project folders, recently viewed files, and access help.
- Click Open Folder to specify a folder that contains files you want to work with.
- 'Recent projects' and 'Recent files' lists will populate with recently viewed or opened folders and files. Click the "Sample Project" link if you want to download and view an example project folder.
- Expand the "Help" sections, to view introductory videos and lessons detailing how to use SnapGene.
Open a Project Folder
A 'Project' can be any folder on your computer, including a SnapGene Collection†.
Click Open to choose a 'Project' folder.
Navigate to locate the folder containing the files you wish to work with, click open to set the folder as a 'Project'.
The contents of the 'Project' folder are shown in the side panel. The folder will be added to the recent projects list.
Click the disclosure ">" buttons to expand or collapse folders.
To view a file in a temporary tab, click once on the file name in the side panel. The file name is shown as italicized text.
To open and view a file as a permanent tab, double click on the file name in the side panel. The file name is shown as non-italicized text.
When viewing a temporary tab, if you interact with the sequence or side bar then it will be converted to a permanent tab.
To view or open a second file, click or double click the file name in the side panel. The file is displayed in a new tab.
To close a tab, click the close box associated with the tab, or alternatively, click on the tab to select it and click File → Close.
Click the Ellipsis in the top right corner to list and easily switch between all open tabs, or to choose to reopen recently closed tabs.
Choose to "Close All Tabs..." or Close [all] Saved Tabs...".
Manage Files via the Side Panel
Files management via the side panel means you don't have to switch to Windows Explorer or macOS Finder to manage your 'Project' folder contents.
Click the vertical ellipsis (⋮) for options to Open or Close a Project, Rename a Project folder, or Show the Project folder in your OS file browser. You can also choose to Expand or Collapse all folders in the Project panel.
- Select one or more files and click Export to export the files to any location on your computer.
- Select one or more files and/or folders and click Move to move the files and/or folders to any location on your computer.
- Select one or more files and/or folders and click the Ellipsis (⋮) to access other folder and file management tools.
You can also drag and drop files and folders in the side panel to move them!
Search a 'Project' folder
Click the Search field to open the "Search" dialog.
Use the "Search" dialog to filter and find items in your "Project" folder. See the lesson Searching in a Project Folder to learn how to search the files in a 'Project' folder.